I will tell you my personal reasons as to why I think Sikhism is the best faith in the world, out of all other worldly religions.
1. Sikhism does not think of other people who follow other religions as “inferior, non-believer, etc”.. hence does not impose its values on them and think negatively of them…
2. Sikhism is a religion of equality. Yes not just between Male and Female, but as universal equality amongst all human beings, which other religions do not have.
3. Sikhism is a modern way of life, it doesn’t subject people to valueless rituals. Caste system, bathing in holy rivers, facing a certain direction for a prayer, slaughtering animals in the name of God, circumcision, etc. (NOTE I’m talking of Sikhism, not cultural practices.. which at times are not up to date with the teachings of the religion..as can be seen in all religions)
4. Sikhism, is a religion of worship of One God. A God that has no ‘chosen people’, a God compassionate to all, God not binded to a “single religion”, God to be found and realised by all, God that’s not pleased with ritualistic behaviour, a God that is only pleased by “ANYONE” who with true devotion LOVES HIM, yes a God for all the UNIVERSE.. not of Jews, Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims,etc.
5. Sikhism says that God judges a person do to his action, not what religion he practices, or was born to. Hence the theory of Karma is also a part of Sikhism. The ultimate reward in Sikhism is to be freed from the PAINS of ‘births and deaths’ that Humans undergo. How much does one suffer in living?? Tremendously! just reflect a bit and you will realise the amount of pain. The older you are the more you will know of it.
Unlike other religions, which offer a heavenly paradise, where one is rewarded with Virgins (only for the males as one scripture has it) and rivers of wine (which ironically is not sanctioned for one to drink here on this earth). Sikhism rewards people with the concept of becoming “one with God”. Where the soul is emmersed back into the Godly soul.. like a raindrop is emersed into the ocean.. and hence find ever lasting bliss. (Never to be reborn again)!
6. In Sikhism, Male and Female are able to carry out prayer rights. There is no priest class, unlike other religions, which only allow Men. Hence again women are treated inferior in the “religion” of these people, and patriarchal values are imposed on them, not egalitarian (which Sikhism condones).
7. Sikhs are explicitly told, to seek knowledge within the Scripture. This will be the “key” to enlightenment, so that one can understand the Guru’s words written in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and help themselves transcend this worldly ocean and reach the higher spiritual goals given to Humankind by God.
8. Sikhism is a religion which builds character. It tells its followers to be “hard workers” to earn their daily bread. To share this with others, as well as to remember the Lord in their heart. Hence within Sikhism, there is a compassion towards all of humanity, a fact of social reform.
9. Sikhism is the only religion that allows all people, of any caste, colour, creed, religion to come to any of their holy places, without restriction, and be given equal respect in all matters. Yes, they are served in the Gurdwara, in the kitchen with the same dignity as if they were Sikhs.
10. Sikhism allows one to follow the path to enlightenment at their own speed of growth, and at their own understanding and awareness. Sikhism allows people to interpret the Guru Granth Sahib for themselves, which increases awareness and understanding, the person will gain a deeper understanding of the “divine” words of the Gurus, who were in direct communication with God and wrote what God told them.
11. Lastly, Sikhism is the only religion where the Scripture is written by the Prophet of the religion who was in divine communication with God, out of all the other worldly religions whose scriptures were written later by people. Sikhism is the only religion that has in its Scripture, Hymns of Divine saints who had attained that state of perfection and communion with God in life. Be they Muslim or Hindu (from all castes). Hence Sikhism is truly a religion that has broken down barriers between religions, to show the world that, ANYONE can reach God by emersing themselves in his love.
Jaswinder Singh (Canada)